About the Highway Division
The Highway Division is one of three divisions of the Department of Physical Services under the direction of the Town Engineer / Manager of Physical Services. The Highway Division is responsible for maintenance, repair, and construction of streets, drainage systems, sanitary sewers, traffic controls, sidewalks, and other features of the Town’s infrastructure system. Overall maintenance and construction is accomplished through the use of in-house labor and equipment working in conjunction with contractual entities. Resolution of pertinent inquiries and service requests from citizens is also coordinated by the Highway Division.
The principal programs, services, and activities offered by this Division are:
- Snow and ice removal during winter storm events;
- Street sweeping and roadside mowing;
- Preparation and administration of the Town street paving program;
- Catch basin cleaning and sanitary sewer main flushing;
- Joint operation of the Bulky Waste sand and gravel operation;
- Maintenance of Town-owned traffic signals, application of all pavement markings, and installation of all regulatory/advisory traffic signage;
- Maintenance and construction of the Town’s extensive storm drainage system.
Goals for 2008/2009 Fiscal Year
- Begin initial phase of Town-wide traffic signal and pedestrian crosswalk upgrade. Include ADA compliant upgrades, increase back-up and timing capabilities. Complete installations on select signals and crosswalks by December 15, 2008.
- Continue refinement of winter pre-treat/anti-icing program expanded to include the use of new technologies as a means of providing additional resource and reduction of materials or man-hours. Collect and maintain data allowing comparison to past year’s operations. Issue report by April 30, 2009.
- Complete limited geometric and drainage improvements to Country Club Road east of Woodland Street. Complete work as approved by November 1, 2008.
- Maintain the Division’s recognized active and effective safety-first culture through training and daily discussion.
2380 New London Turnpike
Glastonbury, CT 06033
Last updated: 3/21/2011 10:01:42 AM